The Office of Research Integrity

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee

The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees all  research involving animals. Prior to the initiation any research efforts involving the use of animals, all UNCG researchers must have IACUC approval. If you have any questions regarding your IACUC application, the best way to contact us is by email at , however,  you may also call 336-256-1482.


How do I obtain space for use at the animal facility?

Please complete the Application for Space Assignment for Animal Facility

How do I order animals for my research?

For information regarding animal ordering, contact the facility at 336-334-5277

Does the animal facility offer any training in animal procedures?

YES, Animal use procedure training available on-site. This can be scheduled by calling 336-334-5277.

IACUC Protocol Submission Information

What are the training requirements for an IACUC application?


  • Tri-annual completion of CITI’s Working with the IACUC Curriculum and a species-specific course for the species you will be working with.The CITI Animal Care and Use Courses meet United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) requirements for basic training in the humane care and use of animals.   CITI is a well-respected, web-based training product that was designed by, and is updated and maintained by, a number of nationally known research professionals.  CITI is based at the University of Miami.  It is designed around topic-specific modules, each followed by a short quiz.  The core courses will take approximately 3-4 hours to complete, while each specialized species or model specific course will take approximately 45-60 minutes to complete.  Please note that the courses do not have to be completed in one sitting.  CITI is user-friendly and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

How do I submit a NEW application?

  • NEW applications must be submitted in ACAP at this time, however, paper applications are being updated to be used again in the future as our need for ACAP is being reevaluated.
  • It is strongly recommended that a new protocol have a Departmental Review completed prior to submission to ACAP and IACUC.

How long will the submission process take?

  •  NEW IACUC protocols will be seen by the full committee. Your IACUC application will need to be seen by the ORI, the Attending Veterinarian, and amended if requested, before it will be reviewed by the committee. In order to get your new study reviewed at the next IACUC meeting, please allow at least two weeks of review time and make sure all requested changes are made at least ten (10) days ahead of the next meeting date.
  • Amendments and Annual Reviews will be reviewed by the Designated Member review process and will not need to go to the full committee unless otherwise specified by the reviewing members.

How do I submit Annual Reviews, Personnel Amendment and and Protocol Amendments?

  • Please use the applicable paper forms on the IACUC main page.
  • All studies that will be at their three year (i.e. fourth continuing year) Annual Review will be required to be entered as a New Application.

How will communication of stipulations or approvals occur?

  • You will be notified by email  of any changes stipulated by the IACUC. 

What do I need to do before I submit?

  • All new protocols should receive a Departmental Review for scientific merit before submission to the ORI. This question can be answered on the application.

How do I request an animal transfer through ACAP?

  • Please obtain an Animal Transfer form through the Animal Facility of the IACUC web page, submit this as an Amendment indicating “Animal Transfer”. Please attach the signed Animal Transfer form to the submission. The IACUC Chair and Animal Facility staff,  will review and process the transfer, directly communicating with the Animal Facility staff. This should take no longer than 2-3 business days, and it is recommended that the transfer be requested with consideration of this time frame. The Animal Facility Staff will be notified that the animal transfer was approved.

Who do I contact if I have problems?

  • If you need assistance or have questions about completing the  IACUC application, please contact or call 336-256-1482. 

Policies and Procedures

FAQs, Forms, and Helpful Information for Working with Animals



Occupational Health